Monday, June 29, 2009

North Chungcheong


I was watching TV last night and I chanced upon a travel guide show featuring North Chungcheong, South Korea. I must admit that aside from the well-known provinces of Korea, such as, Gangwondo, Gyeonggido, and of course, Jejudo, Chungcheongdo is quite foreign to me. I think the only thing I know about the area, is that, it is the hometown of Ban Ki Moon, the United Nations Secretary General. And since I’ve started writing a blog on Korea, I decided to watch the entire show, which lasted about 15 – 20 minutes. Chungcheungdo is a great place to visit and has much to offer to a potential tourist. It is interesting to note, that this is considered to be the center of Korea and the only province which is not in contact with the sea. Here are some of the interesting snippets I remembered from the show:

Beopjusa Temple - home to the Palsangjeon (wooden pagoda), and the only one left in Korea. It has a bronze buddha statue, which i think stands about 33 meters high. I wonder which is taller, this one or the one I saw in Thailand?

Chungju Lake – a man-made lake and is the largest multi-purpose lake in Korea

Gosu Cave – a limestone cave with beautiful stalagmites and stalactites formations

Wine train – this is interesting for wine lovers

A herb and flower garden which I still have to recall the name, where in the adjacent area, they serve flower salad.

I think they also mentioned Taekkyon, a form of Korean martial arts, originating from the area.

Persimon is quite abundant in the area and they also make this into candies. I still have to taste this type of candy because I’m used to eating fresh persimmon. Nobody makes this into preserved candies in my country.

They also host the former presidential retreat house, the Cheongnamdae.

I guess that’s what I remembered from the TV show… till next time.

7 comments:

Glen said...

do they really have a wine train? i like that!!!

Anonymous said...

the buddha is really that tall?

Aydee said...

Korea has really a lot to offer to its visitors

dino said...

nice places to visit when you go to korea

kathleen said...

i still have to taste candied persimon too.

jean said...

wow, at least you remembered a lot

kobe_bear said...

the buddha is really that tall. korea indeed, has a lot of things to offer to all types of tourists. i still have to taste candied persimon too. i tried to remember as much as i can for my blog.