Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Gayageum: Korean stringed instrument

The Gayageum is considered as the most well-known traditional Korean instrument. Similar to the table harp, this Korean board zither has 12 strings which were traditionally made from silk strings, although there are gayageum with 17 or 21 stings. Moreover, aside from silk other materials used for the strings are nylon, steel or even copper.

I was accidentally introduced to the Gayageum when I caught the last part of a traditional Korean musical performance in the activity center of one of the more popular malls in our place a few years back. And since then, it has been a part of my mp3 playlist. My mp3 player contains the piano version as well as the gayageum version of the Arirang. It also has some of Byungki Hwang’s work, such as Spring (봄) and Fall (가을) both from his CD침향무. Byungki Hwang is of course the foremost South Korean gayageum maestro.

On my wishlist is a string musical performance by Byungki Hwang on gayageum, Yoyo Ma on cello and Lucia Micarelli on violin. That would be a musical coup for me, but then again it’s just a wishlist.

So the next time you log in to youtube or imeem or to any of your favorite video sharing network, why not try to surf for some of Byungki Hwang's work or some gayageum performances and enjoy the beautiful sound of this korean instrument.

2 comments:

Jeon In-wook said...

When I read your articles, I am surprised since you seem to know about Korea a lot. I also have my own blog what I introduce Korea and Korean culture, then yours looks better than mine.(www.inmyseoul.pe.kr)
so surprise.^^

kobe_bear said...

i guess that's why i'm enjoying writing this blog. i get to complement the little knowledge i have about korea with additional readings, watching special features on korea, talking to people who've been to korea, and from other sources. i'm also learning while writing. what do you think about my articles? am i giving an accurate picture of korea?